About Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, deadly gas. It can kill you before you know it because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it. At lower levels of exposure, it can cause health problems. Some people may be more vulnerable to CO poisoning such as fetuses, infants, children, senior citizens and those with heart or lung problems. When CO is breathed in by an individual, it accumulates in the blood and forms a toxic compound known as carboxyhemoglobin (COHb). Hemoglobin carries oxygen in the bloodstream to cells and tissues. Carbon monoxide attaches itself to hemoglobin and displaces the oxygen that the body organs need.
continue reading →


Electrical Fire Safety

Each year the Mendham Fire Department & First Aid Squad respond to a significant number of fires and medical emergencies caused by electrical malfunction. Every year in the United States, more than 1,000 people are killed and thousands more injured in electrical fire or shock incidents. It is important to know how to use electrical appliances safely and how to recognize electrical hazards. continue reading →


Safety for Older Adults

These free materials are yours to use when educating older adults (ages 65 and over) and their caregivers about the importance of home fire safety. continue reading →


About 911

Since 9-1-1 was introduced to Mendham, it has led to speedier responses to emergencies.  However, there are a few details about 9-1-1 that you should be aware of:
continue reading →


CO Detectors & Alarms

According to UL Standard 2034, home carbon monoxide detectors must sound a warning before carbon monoxide levels reach 100 parts per million over 90 minutes, 200 parts per million over 35 minutes or 400 parts per million over 15 minutes. The standard requires the alarm must sound before an average, healthy adult begins to experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The warning provides time to evacuate the premises.
continue reading →


How Safe is Your Home?

Each year, over 4,000 Americans perish and more than 20,000 others suffer serious injuries because of residential fires.
continue reading →


Chimney Maintenance

Have you ever heard the old story that a good way to clean creosote from a chimney is to have a good chimney fire? Well, don’t you believe it! Chimney fires can be your worst enemy. As the popularity of heating with wood continues to grow, so does the rate of house fires. In fact, wood stoves (and fireplace inserts) are one of the leading causes of house fires nationwide. These fires fall into two categories: those resulting from improper installation, and those resulting from chimney abuse.
continue reading →


Smoke Alarms: What You Need to Know

Install. Inspect. Protect. Smoke alarms save lives! If your smoke alarm was installed more than 10 years ago, it needs to be replaced.
continue reading →


MFD Supporter T-Shirts

Just in time for the Holidays! Order you Mendham Fire Department “Supporter” t-shirt today as a gift for you favorite Future Fighter, Buff or treat yourself.
continue reading →


Queens Court Fire: March 23, 2009

Around 7:00 p.m. on March 23, 2009 the Mendham Fire Department was called to a reported house fire on Queens Court in the Brookside section of Mendham Township. continue reading →