Hoverboard — part toy, part transportation. These self-balancing scooters have quickly become the latest fad. However, many hover boards have been linked to fires. NFPA urges you to be fire safe when using these devices.
Across the globe, fire incidents associated with hover boards are being reported at an alarming rate prompting internet giants Overstock and Amazon to stop selling some hover boards. One tragic incident in Louisiana earlier this month involved a hover board on top of a mattress that burst into flames.
After numerous media inquiries, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) issued fire safety tips urging hover board owners to read product guidelines and be aware of potential fire hazards when using these trendy devices.
If you purchase a hover board
- Choose a device with the seal of an independent testing laboratory.
- Read and follow all manufacturer directions. If you do not understand the directions, ask for help.
- An adult should be responsible for charging the hover board.
- Do not leave a charging hover board unattended.
- Never leave the hover board plugged in overnight.
- Only use the charging cord that came with the hover board.
- Stop using your hover board if it overheats.
- Extreme hot or cold temperature can hurt the battery.
Signs of a Problem
Some hover board fires have involved the Lithium-Ion battery or charger. Signs you could have a problem:
- Leaking fluids
- Excessive heat
If you notice any of these signs, stop using the device right away. Call 9-1-1. If safe to do so, move the hover board outside away from anything that can burn.
H/T: NFPA offers hover board fire safety tips this holiday season. Image via Flickr.